Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Musings

Ever have those days where you just call someone just so you can talk to a grown-up for a while? Yeah, today was one of those. This Christmas was so nice to just have time to do stuff together and to not have any commitments, but I think we’re ready to get back into the swing of things.
New Year’s is such a funny holiday. What do you do? We went up to Taos Ski Valley to watch a torchlight parade down the mountain and fireworks. We were late (big surprise), so we missed the parade, but caught the fireworks. Sage was afraid of the loud booms (another big surprise), so we just watched from the car. That was fine by me because it was COLD! Jacob and I put in a movie when we got home. I was asleep by 10:30. We spent New Year’s Day sledding. Sage discovered she like going down on her bum and tummy best of all. Why buy a sled?
Jacob and I finally got to ski the other day. It was the first time we have ever hired a baby-sitter, but worth it, for me at least. Jacob did remark that he’d rather be hiking. I told him he could just skip the lift and hike up the hill. He had a spooky fall—must have caught an edge just before he hit a cat track. Anyway, he ended up sliding off the cat track and flying off the edge of the hill into the trees. Luckily, he didn’t hit any trees, only stumps. No injuries, thankfully! We were thinking that that was the first time we’d been skiing since I was pregnant with Sage, about 4 years ago. Crazy.

I have had a bit of tooth trauma the past few months. It all started with a broken filling which boiled down to a dreaded root canal. I have heard such horror stories about those that you can imagine I was so nervous! And of course, I had to go to Sante Fe to get it done. I seriously had such anxiety. And then I met my dentist, Dr. Gavron. Quite a character. He really likes his root canals. Anyway, the whole experience, thankfully, went just fine. Totally painless—I don’t do well with teeth stuff—and really fascinating in a weird sort of educational way. I learned some new things about teeth. I got to use a mirror to see a lot of what was going on. I have become quite committed to pampering my pearly whites to hopefully avoid any extra dentist visits, nice as Dr. Gavron was.
We’ve put it off long enough, but the time has come to install the child locks. Not that I’m worried about Kei getting into the cleaning cabinets and finding something dangerous. It’s his getting into the food cabinets that has become my biggest pet peeve. He’ll open the cabinet where I keep the snack stuff, pull out a granola bar or a fruit snack, and follow you around wanting you to open it. Or he’ll pull out a box of crackers and dump them out as he munches. As cute as Keiger is, this is one habit we are going to stop. I’m sick of sweeping. But we still love him. He is able to this so well because he decided to start walking. After taking a few steps in Arizona – thanks Talon for showing him the way – he just started walking more and more each day. Now he is just acquiring new bumps and bruises – fun stuff.

4 comments:

Jeff and Lea said...

Hey New Mexican Youngs! Well we are here in Oregon, and doing fine so far. I'm not so sure Jeff is going to like all this rain! Anyways it looks like you guys had great holidays. Keep in touch. Oh yeah, your kids are so cute!

Suzie said...

I'm glad you guys got to go skiing. That is something Suzie and I haven't done in a couple of years, and it would be nice to do together again. Maybe next year when I don't have to deal with grad school and two part time jobs.

Erich said...

Jake, you really are an amazing photographer. The firework show looks pretty impressive. We were excited just to have some sparkling cider for New Years Eve, definitely no fireworks in Grangeville.
You guys should be thankful Jake likes hiking more than skiing...much cheaper alternative :) Maybe you should try cross-country skiing...it's kind-of a blend of the two.
Well good luck with the Keiger containment plan. He sounds like the funnest little kid. Never a dull moment!
Take care.
Kara

Natalie said...

Sounds like your new years was an adventure after all. Sounds like your having your share of fun adventures down there! It hard to believe that Keiger is walking. Kids make life SO entertaining. They keep you on your toes too!