Sunday, January 27, 2008

Crazy Hike

So I come to the office to make a post and see these two slide shows...wow. All I can say is - hey, I worked in the sun and the sagebrush all summer:o) I miss you dear, despite the scandalous pic, and can't wait to see you guys in a few days. - Here was my original post

With Morgan and the kids gone it has been quite, too quite but I have been able to get a few more things down around the house. I also went for a hike into the Latir Wilderness yesterday. The hike was nice but very steep and the snow a little deeper than I expected – waist deep in some places, even with snowshoes. I think that Erich would have been the only one who wouldn’t have complained about that hike (over 2,000 feet in just over a mile). I had a good time but was a little disappointed that I didn’t get to timberline for some great views. So these pictures are all you get, sorry.

As for Morgan, Sage and Keiger, all I know is that they have been having fun…maybe she will fill you in sometime.
This is the road that leads to El Rito the little town at the base of the wilderness on the west side. The red was my route since I was tired and by myself, and wanted to come down while it was still light the top will have to come another time. You can just make out Cabresto Peak in the center of the photo. A view back on to the 'Taos Plateau' or Rio Grande Valley centered on Ute MountainThis aerial photo gives you an idea of where I wanted to go (Cabresto Peak, bottom left and Venado Peak, top right with Virgin Canyon between them)...can't wait 'till summer
Evening glow on the Wheeler Peak Wilderness






3 comments:

Erich said...

Those are some white legs Jacob! We need to get you out playing some soccer this summer. You would have enjoyed the backpacking trip and I could have used you sherpa skills to pack out the extra gear. Have you found any elk wintering grounds for some spring shed hunting? I'll give you a call sometime this week. Later

LALALALUUUUUUUKE said...

Wow Jake, you are slacking, only 2000 vertical feet? I was hoping it would be at least 3000 minimum. Sounds like you are doing well if you aren't cooped up in the house. Between you and Erich, I don't know who gets more fresh air.

Jeff and Lea said...

Morgan, you're tagged. Go to my blog to get the rules. Oh yeah, love the pic of Jacob!