Friday, December 28, 2007

Merry Christmas

I think I’ve decided I could live in Taos forever…but I know that is just this awesome winter working on me. I had forgotten how much fun playing in the snow is until this past month where we’ve had great snow and lots of activities so close. I so have the itch to go skiing once we get baby-sitting coordinated. Christmas was great for us. This was the first year that we spent Christmas at home with just our little family, and we made the most of it. Sage was so excited to go ice skating, and it was hilarious to watch her.
The rink provided these walker-thingees that were awesome for her. She pushed it all over the ice. She didn’t even want us to skate near her. She is definitely a better skater than I am, although she did biff it a few times, especially when she tried to say hello to other skaters. Too fun.
We also went sledding one afternoon, and we decided to make our own track down the hill. So of course, Sage got pelted with snow all over the front of her. We just played in the snow after that. Keiger didn’t enjoy it too much either. Poor Keiger. He sure puts up with a lot from us as we drag him along on all these crazy adventures.
On Christmas Eve, we took Sage skiing for the first time. We took her to a practice run at Sipapu so we didn’t have to buy lift tickets and we could just walk beside her. She did pretty good. It’s a lot to get the hang off for such a little one, so we’ll probably call it good for this year and put her on some shorter skis next winter. And, of course, Keiger tagged along in the sled. He’s such a good sport. Sage got the most fun out of watching people load onto the chair lift. She’s so into stuff like that.
We got her this marble run for Christmas, and she sits in her room watching it. You can just see her mind working to try and figure it out. Anyway. Christmas was really nice. It’s been neat to think of the traditions that we want to have. Sage did say over breakfast, “Wait. Santa forgot my puppy!” What do you say to that?

Christmas afternoon we went to the Pueblo to watch the deer dance. There was chanting and drumming and it got a bit chilly as we waited for things to really get started. We saw the clowns (kind-of the authorities for the day) all painted black and white and wearing straw hats with turkey wings and feathers. They built a huge bonfire and ran all over. Yes, they scared Keiger. The Pueblo women danced, and then the deer came. I guess all the men had been hunting the week before, so they all dressed in the skins and heads of the deer and elk they killed. They held sticks in their hands to look like they had four legs. Then they started to dance. By that time all we could see were bobbing antlers over the crowd, and we headed home to get warm. There is so much culture. I wish I understood more. You can’t take pictures of any of the dances at the Pueblo. I wish you could because it is so cool to see the snow draped over the roofs of the old adobes up against the mountain. Speaking of culture, we headed to the Bishops for dinner, and we just don’t quite fit in yet. It’s so funny. So for dinner there was posole with pig’s feet, enchiladas, spoon bread, shrimp salsa stuff, chips and salsa, chili, tortillas, tamales, and lots of chilies. And what do we bring? …Rolls. Doesn’t quite fit, does it? I love it. We had a great time and heard alls sorts of funny stories about the ward, like the time they used tortilla chips for the Sacrament or the Sunday the mariachi band played during Sacrament meeting, now known as “Mariachi Sunday.” Too fun. I love Taos. Honestly, the people here are so real and sincere, just who they are.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's quite the impressive toy, looks like lots of fun. Not quite a puppty, but pretty cool. I can't believe how much snow you have...more than us up here in Northern Idaho. All of the snow storms have sort of bypassed us. Anyhow glad you had a good Christmas. Seeing your pics made me want to break out our skis too.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas! That's awesome that the skating rink had a walker thingy - I wonder if the one in Moscow has those things.

I can't even remember the last time I went skiing. That's great that you took Sage - I wonder how Carly would enjoy it.

It's so neat that you get to see such a different culture and become a part of it. I'm sure it takes some getting used to. (I probably would have taken rolls to the ward dinner too - so funny!)

p.s. We enjoyed your Christmas news letter - someday we'll start doing that. I always plan on sending one out, but I get too stressed out thinking about family pictures!

Erich said...

Sounds like a some crazy cool culture. Jake do you think that we could get together every year and dance around with our kill on our backs? Were they sporting any big racks? In two weeks the scouts and I are heading out for a huge adventure on the salmon. Hopefully we will see some animals and I bet it will remind me of our shed hunting trip to Hell's canyon. We plan on climbing 4000 feet in two days and I think half of it will be in snowshoes. We will see if they still like me after we are done. Miss out winter hiking trips.