Monday, July 14, 2008

Camping

We had a fun camping trip this weekend. Jacob took us up to Lagunitas campground on the border of the Cruces Basin Wilderness, where it was just beautiful. The kids had a great time roasting mallows. Keiger could definitely win that contest where you stuff a bunch of marshmallows in your mouth. We took a really nice hike through the meadows, and Sage was totally entertained by collecting wildflowers. She sure says some funny things. The other morning, Keiger was throwing a little fuss while I was making breakfast, and Sage said, “Honestly, Keiger! What are you crying about?” Later that night in the tent, she turns to Keiger and says, “Quit your whining!”
On a more sobering note, we had a little accident with one of our chickens while we were camping. We came home to a note on our front door from our neighbor saying that our chickens had gotten out of the yard, and a dog from down the street had eaten one. Sage is dealing with the loss fairly well. I asked her if she was doing ok, and she mumbled, “Yes.” Then I asked her if she needed a hug, and she came right over to snuggle. Then we were munching on pie a bit later and I asked her if she wanted a second bite. At first she said no, but then she said she wanted a second bite to remind her of the second chicken we lost. Poor girl! She has also changed the name of the remaining chicken from Dotey to Chick-Chick, because she “liked that one best.”
The other day, Keiger insisted on wearing this get-up before he would head into the backyard. And last night (I’m laughing as I write this), we were in Sage’s room ready for family prayer when Keiger comes booking down the hallway wearing Sage’s silver sparkle shoes and a shiny black purse draped over his shoulder. I do worry about that kid sometimes.

8 comments:

Daisha said...

so sad about the chicken. They are actually kind of pretty. See you soon!

Erich said...

Wow what a beautiful place to go camping. You guys are great photographers....that picture of Sage in the flowers is amazing! I'm impressed at how much you guys are getting out and exploring the area...way to go. We haven't even been camping once this summer. Anyhow sorry to hear about the loss of the chicken.

Jill W said...

That place looks beautiful! It almost inspires me to get my family to go camping. Maybe I'll start small and settle for picnic.

Erica said...

wowo it sure is beautiful there. And don't worry Tanner (being surroundedby girls) has been known to dress up too. So funny.

Jeff and Lea said...

That area is gorgeous. Love the family picture. You all look so great. So sorry about the chicken. I'm sure Sage was so sad. Can't wait to see you guys soon!

Erich said...

"That boy just aint right" Hank Hill.

Cindy Salo said...

Jacob and Morgan,

What a stellar website! I love your kid's names: Sage & Keiger. Most excellent.

Jacob, I emailed you at your UofI email address, with no luck. I just had dinner with Karen Launchbaugh last night, who clued me in to your whereabouts. I hope you're enjoying NM -- I was in Tucson for 20 years, before moving to Boise, and I loved the desert.

Two questions:
1. Would you like to update your Idaho SRM address for the newsletters? or have you switched to the NM chapter by now?
2. I'm very interested in reading your thesis...and Karen wants to post it on the dept. web page. Do you have a pdf you could send me/us?

Thanks bunches,
Cindy Salo
csalo11@hotmail.com

Katyanne said...

great family picture!!!