Monday, August 4, 2008

Wind Rivers

Where is the summer going? We got back last week from my dad’s annual backpacking trip to the Wind Rivers. This was the first year I was able to go since Sage was born, so you can imagine I was sucking air on the hikes Jacob led. He has this way of picking out the craziest route possible to the top or bottom of things. Anyway, we all had a lot of fun. Thankfully, we all had good tents since one night it dumped on us for a good two hours straight—it even hailed on and off for the whole storm. I made a break for the tent while Jake stuck it out under the kitchen sun shade thingee. Our camp was a puddle of mud. Jake named the camp “Moose Haven” since we would wake up to moose munching around the tent. We also saw a few deer and four “nice bucks” (according to Jacob) on our hike up Sky Pilot Pass. My mom watched our kids for the week, so I spent most of my spare time reading a book (heaven) and we fished. It had been a LONG time since I’d picked up a fly rod, so I am happy to know I can still catch some, even though Jake does it far better than I do. Here’s a pic of me with my dad and Vern, my dad’s 80 year old cousin. He’s in better shape than I am…probably Jake too. Maybe. We drilled him on what he has done to stay so fit. He’s always been pretty active and eats healthy. In fact, Jake was eating some peanut M&M’s (he was eating the whole trip) during this discussion and asked Vern, “So I probably shouldn’t be eating these, should I?” Vern leaned in a little closer and said, “You haven’t seen me eat any of those, have you?”
The lake we camped next to.
The moose that "camped" 20 yards from our tent.
Peak Lake cirque

While we were in Utah, we were able to meet up with friends from Moscow and Ricks, even high school, who are living on the Wasatch Front. It was really nice to see what everyone is up to and to see how cute their little kids are growing up. It was sweltering HOT, though! So it was a fun visit, though I feel bad that with such a large group we weren’t able to visit with everyone more. Hopefully, there will be other times. Thanks everybody for coming!

Sage had a pajama party the other night before one of her little preschool friend moves to Colorado. Watching the pillow fight was pretty funny.
I get my copy of the next Twilight book tomorrow, and I can’t wait. I warned Jacob that I’m going to disappear for the rest of the week until I finish it. One last note from Jacob: If anyone wants to come visit us in New Mexico from August 31st thru September 22nd, that would be great so Jake won’t feel so guilty about being gone for hunting season. It has begun! Hey, you’d be impressed. Jacob actually planned a surprise date for my birthday. Jaws are dropping everywhere, I know. He hired a babysitter—this is only the second time we’ve had a sitter since we had Sage. We’re cheap. We went to a movie and then out to a fancy dinner at Taos’ “most romantic” and “best restaurant.” I can probably find the receipts for proof that this actually happened, if you’re still skeptical. Too fun.

9 comments:

Jill W said...

Oh my gosh, that camping spot looks absolutely gorgeous! What a fun vacation! It was great seeing you in Utah!

Daisha said...

Amazing mountains! Can't wait to see you!

Jeff and Lea said...

What a beautiful place! You guys take great pictures. Morgan that is great you caught some fish using a fly rod. Jeff has tried to teach me how to fly fish, but I'm not good with the wrist flick. Anyways, can't wait to see your family soon! We still aren't sure if we will camp or just come early and leave late. I'm taking it you'll let us know where in Florence you'll be? Do you still have my email? Let me know. Talk to you soon! Lea

Erich said...

It's hard to think of ANYONE being in better shape than Jake. I laughed so hard at the comment regarding Jake's unique routes. Hiking is always an adventure with you Jake! We definitely miss those days. You really should make an Idaho Hunting trip!

Anonymous said...

Hey Morgan! it is so good to see your face again. I am finally getting in touch with everyone from moscow. missed the party in utah, wish i could of gone. please visit my blog that i have started.

Nathan said...

I am so jealous of your trip to the Wind Rivers. When I saw the title of the post I was instantly back there. I loved the time that I got to go there with all of you. I sure miss hanging out with you. One of Suzie's favorite pictures of me is of me at the Wind Rivers with you fly fishing. Hope you had a great time. Wonderful pictures!

Erich said...

Hey Jake and Morgan I am pretty sure Erich and I (and baby Gleckler) will be in Albequerque over Thanksgiving so we'll have to try to get together then. Erich's family is getting together at his sister's house who lives there. Anyhow I just didn't want to forget to tell you that.

Anonymous said...

Hey! thanks for your comment. I was starting to wonder if anyone got mine. Its good to hear that you are reading the books. Have you read HOST? It was good too.

The Artist's Life Experiment said...

What a beautiful family in the woods. Thanks so much for commenting on my blog, you really made my day. Have a great trip! :) Tina in Taos