Thursday, April 17, 2008

Chicks and water day

So a few weeks ago, Jacob went out with the missionaries, and he came home so excited. I thought something had gone really well with one of the lessons. Truth be told, he had been talking with one of the sisters in the ward about chickens. This sister had just bought some chicks to raise as egg-layers. Apparently, Jacob thought this was the coolest idea ever, so this week we purchased 3 of our own little chicks, which Sage has lovingly named: Spotty, Chick-Chick, and Dotey (I actually thought of that one). Right now, they are living in the garage under a heat lamp until it’s warm enough to put them outside in a coop that Jacob is constructing. In about 4 months, they should start laying eggs. Oh, the adventures we get into! Who knows how this will work out, but for now the kids are having great fun with their new little pets. They are cute, but a bit stinky. In fact, Jacob is just showing me this home video he took of Sage doing her “Welcome Chick” song and dance in the garage. Wish you could see it, it’s pretty funny.
I had preschool at my house this week which was sooo fun because we discovered this book, “Water Wonders” that had the neatest ideas of stuff to do with water. We had all sorts of fun experiments that kept us busy all morning. The “Bubbling Bubble Machine” was particularly fantastic. Just add a tablespoon liquid soap into ½ cup water in a cup. Cover the cup with tin foil. Punch a straw through the foil, then punch out another hole. Blow through the straw and tons of bubbles come out the hole. I know I had more fun than the kids did during this preschool morning. Let me know if you want any of the other cute ideas in the book. It’s crazy how much more fun I have with my kids if I just take the time to do some creative activities with them. It keeps us from getting bored, and I know Sage really thrives on it. She’s been a bit restless lately, anxious to learn new things and grow, I think. Grandma actually discovered some computer games for her. It’s remarkable how computer savvy these little guys are. It took me a few minutes to teach Sage how to use the mouse and navigate this Sesame Street art workshop program, and she was off! I can’t believe how quickly she picked up using the computer.
Jacob was out of town for work a few days this week riding horses somewhere, so the kids and I had plenty of time to play together. Here’s a great pic of Keiger with the paper wings Sage wanted to make. I love his belly-rub. I really think she believed in her cute little heart that those wings would make her fly. Keiger’s saying some more words now. He just added “ear” and “eye” to his vocabulary today. Most of the time though, he says, “azab, azab, abadaba.” Pretty funny to listen to.
We were ready to get some stuff done in the yard yesterday, but woke up to a couple inches of snow. I love it. It did melt off by the afternoon.

10 comments:

Erika and Jason said...

I know how wanting to work in the yard is destroyed by the snow it keeps doing that here. Buying chickens seems like some crazy thing that I would do to. It looks like fun though. The bubbles also look like they would be fun too.

Jeff and Lea said...

You bought chickens? That is so funny. They are so cute, little, and fuzzy. Love their names. You'll have to let us know if the eggs taste better than store bought eggs. (Which I'm sure they will, seeing how they will be so fresh!)

Jeff and Lea said...

I forgot to ask you, I asked Wendy on her blog but it doesn't seem they check their's too often. What was the name of the new apartments that half of our Moscow ward lived in? Thanks.

Wendy said...

What a fun idea. We went to Wilco the other day and let the girls look at all of the baby chicks. Since that is their obsession. They would love to get some but I do not know how our landlord would like it and Ben did not seem all to thrilled! So maybe another time. Morgan - I need any and all ideas on the preschool you guys do. Do you follow a curriculum? Where do you get your ideas etc... We are doing a co-op preschool at home next year in order to be more cost effective. Hopefully I won't go crazy with 3 kids one being a newborn, but we are going to venture it! We are excited for this summer! We miss you guys!

Daisha said...

we did the bubble thing and loved it . . . thanks for the idea . . . can you move closer to us please? well wait unitl after ortho school I guess? I love love love your ideas for the kids . . . you're my role model for a mother morgan! Love ya!!
Daisha

Brandy said...

Morgan.. HI! You guys look like you're having tons of fun! (I've been blog hunting and have found lots of moscow friends!) How are you guys?

~Brandy

Jill W said...

I think you should do a post on more water ideas and about your preschool. I'd love to get more ideas, since I'll soon be a stay-at-home mommy. Yay!

Natalie said...

Wow! You guys are always up to something fun. I would love more of your fun ideas. I with Wendy. Where to you find them, or hear about them? Chickens! I love it! I am anxious to hear how that goes.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Annette said...

I would definately like some more ideas for kids. Troy gets bored with me and who wouldn't! I'm not that creative.