Monday, April 6, 2009

Funny kids

As I write this, the kids are currently “hunting” around the house. They are shooting wild chickens and dogs with pencils. And they have emptied all of Sage’s toy boxes to make grinders to grind up all the meat. Lovely. Jacob has taught them well.

We headed in for our ultrasound this week. The kids were excited to go see “pictures of the baby in mommy’s tummy.” Sage has been expecting a baby sister for a while now, claiming that if it was a boy, she wouldn’t play with it. So after some searching, it was pretty obvious that we are having a boy. When the technician told Sage that the baby was a boy (she wouldn’t believe us), she was the picture of dejection. I wish I had a camera to capture the way her face fell and how she dragged herself out of the hospital. On the drive home, we decided to make pancakes for dinner since it was late. Sage remarked that when the baby is born, he could never have breakfast for dinner. She’s gotten used to the idea of a baby brother now, though. We’re just thankful that everything is healthy and well. The due date is still August 15th, right as Sage starts kindergarten and just before hunting season. I can’t imagine how crazy all that is going to be! Any suggestions for boy names?
Here’s a little Easter story. So the kids have been playing with their stuffed animal dogs a lot lately. Sage’s is named Emily, and Kei’s is named Puppy. One morning last week, they were playing vet with their dogs while I was getting ready in the bathroom. Keiger walked down the hall holding Puppy and said very somberly, “Puppy dead.” Sage then emptied a toy box, and they put Puppy inside and took him onto my bed. I then overheard Sage pull out some gadget that she said measures heartbeats. She told Keiger, “This will measure Puppy’s heartbeats, and when they come back, he will be resurrected.” Intrigued, I go into the bedroom to see what would unfold. Unfortunately, Emily, who had been keeping watch over Puppy, died too. So she was placed in a toy box as well, and we had two dead dogs on my bed. Suddenly, Sage grabbed both dogs and raised them above her head saying that they were lifted up to heaven. She then tossed onto the ground and said that we would see them again sometime. So funny. From the mouths of babes.

Oh, big step for Keiger this weekend. We took him to the store and let him pick out a new toy: a Mater book and a Lightning McQueen race car. When we got home, we threw his binkee in the trash. Keiger was pretty excited about this until we put him down for his nap. He pretty much cried all afternoon. And he cried for a good while before going to sleep last night too. We’ll see how today goes. As tough as it may be, I’ll be so glad to be rid of the binkee!

Ok, I can’t resist adding this. Right now, Sage is playing with a stuffed animal cat that moves and meows. She’s saying stuff like, “Ok girl, tell me about your universe and how you had kittens on Sunday.” Honestly, these kids crack me up.

I almost forgot! Exploding MILK! You’ve gotta try it (Don’t worry—nothing really explodes)! Pour a little bit of milk into a cookie sheet, just enough to cover the sheet. Then put a few drops of food coloring around on the sheet. Then put a drop of liquid dish soap onto a drop of food coloring and watch what happens. It’s so cool—you can see how different colors combine to make new colors. Way fun.

12 comments:

Annette said...

I didn't know you were expecting! How exciting. Congrats!

Katyanne said...

I didn't know you were having a baby..what a shocker!!! any suggestions for names???? Im pretty sure you aren't going to use any names we all come up with :) My sister is naming her son LEGEND. I don't know its growing on me...its weird how that happens. You can't pick a weird name because it always just grows on you :)
lets test this theory out...lets name him.... Fighter...and im sure in a few months it will seem completely normal as a name.

Daisha said...

I thought you had a boys name picked out already?! I'm having a hard time with girls names . . . I did go through family group sheets this weekend at mom's to look for a family middle name. I was thinking Maude or Olive would be pretty (just kidding)!. I loved the stories about the kids.

Jeff and Lea said...

Had no idea you were pregnant!! Was it in a previous post? Well anyway congrats! Hope you are feeling well. No clue on boy names. I'm sure you'll come up with something cute and unique like your other children's names.

Camile said...

Congratulations on the new baby! I'm glad that Sage is warming up to the idea of a baby brother - hopefully she'll allow him to eat breakfast for dinner someday. :)

I love the imagination of kids! The dead puppies being resurrected, the cat from another universe who had kittens on Sunday - too funny!

I'll have to try the exploding milk idea. (Because I'm nursing right now, when I first read "Exploding Milk" I was totally thinking something else....ha ha!)

Emily said...

I'm sure Sage will get used to having a little baby brother see as how she already has one. What cute/funny kids you are blessed with. And I'm so excited for #3 to come this summer. Good luck!

Erika and Jason said...

I am so excited for you! I had now idea that you were pregnant though I was wondering when the next one would be. Did you see on our blog that after 2 years of trying we are expecting a little one too?

Matt and Melissa said...

Congrats!We are excited for you. Maybe just a little more than Sage!

Nellie said...

Congrats on the new little boy...I think almost everyone I know is due in August or September! That will be so exciting and I'm sure you'll do great with all of the craziness!

Raelene said...

Congrats! How exciting. I can understand the disappointment. Oscar was sure we were having not only a girl, but two. That way it would make it even girls to boys. He loves his brother Myles now! Good luck on the boy name department. That is always a toughy for me!

bdawg schmash andrizzle & n.o.p said...

Yeah for you guys. The world will certainly be funnier with another Young kidlet around. Your blog always gets me laughing and lifts my spirits. Good luck with the pregnancy.

meagan said...

We take a peek at your blog every once in a while. Your family is adorable and the kids are so grown up. Congrats on the new little Young. We brainstormed about boy names for a long time. We also liked Hawkins, Anders, and Gage, but I bet you already have a creative name up your sleeves. Hope life continues to go well for you guys! Ben and Meagan